<$BlogRSDUrl$>




Saturday, October 04, 2003



[Oriental Daily]

As a direct descendant of Hong Kong's "Father of Film" Lai Man Wai, Gigi Lai appeared at a promotional event at the Museum of Film for a celebration of her grandfather's work entitled "Lai Man Wai's Footsteps".

Gigi says: "Of my generation, there is only me who has stayed in this industry and I don't know if anyone from the next generation will continue the tradition. I am worried we will lose the family line and my family are even more concerned with my career as they share their opinions with me on every film or show I make. When I was younger, I would ignore them, but now I will analyse it because they all love me and care for me. I am filming TV series "Gum Chi Yuk Yip" (Palatial Sins) at the moment and when they see me dressed in chipao, they are very happy because in my grandmother's generation, they wore chipao in those days. I will be 110% alert and give my all into the performance."

As for her response as to Lawrence Ng's reports, she says: "I haven't seen the reports, but I know that he treats his friends and his work very well and he is a good person. I don't know about his private life because I don't know him personally. (There are reports that Moses Chan is interested in pursuing you!) I don't feel it, you will have to ask him. I don't know who is interested in me, but I have no feelings for male artistes, I like brainy men who I can communicate with. (Are you worried that male artistes will be unfaithful and discriminate against them?) Not discriminate, lovers need to be able to talk to each other and there will be nothing to talk about if you are working with them all day. I am still looking for someone at the moment, but I have no time so I just have to wait."

http://orientaldaily.com.hk/ent/ent_a61cnt.html

[Additional from Ta Kung Pao]

Also appearing at the event were Lai Man Wai's seven sons and daughters, but when Gigi was asked to have her photograph taken with her father, she refused. Also, when the group photograph was taken, she also refused to stand beside her father, raising some curiosity from the press.

Gigi reveals that she has seen many of her grandfather's works and when she was younger, she heard her grandmother tell of his stories. She feels that her grandfather had an undying contribution and spirit towards film that can be a lesson to today's society. When asked whether she entered showbiz because of his influence, Gigi denied this, saying that she was spotted by a talent scout and although she has been in the industry for over ten years, her sincerity towards film is nowhere near that of her grandfather.

http://www.takungpao.com/news/2003-10-5/UL-183163.htm


Back to top