<$BlogRSDUrl$>




Sunday, October 31, 2004

The following piece is very hard work (mainly research). Thought readers of this blog might be interested since the anniversary is just around the corner. Please do not repost it in any forum without giving the proper credit. Thanks.

*****************************************

TVB's anniversary falls on Nov. 19 every year, and naturally, November is the "anniversary month". During this period, TVB will air its "anniversary serial" (such as "The Conqueror's Story" for this year), and on the night of 19th, some of the best and most popular artists and programs will be honored during the anniversary show.

TVB started the tradition of annual awards in 1997. The fixed categories include "My Favorite Male/Female Lead", "My Favorite Partners (Drama)", "My Favorite Partners (Non-Drama)", and "My Favorite Characters". The recently added categories include "The Most Improved Male/Female Artist" and "Extraordinary Male/Female Artist".

Generally speaking, the anniversary month is the cut-off point. Serials that aired between this year and the previous year's anniversary month are eligible for the awards. "Take My Word For It" was aired after the anniversary show in 2002, so although it debuted in November, it automatically joined year 2003's competition.

During the anniversary month, there is always a TVB sales presentation. The main purpose of this presentation is to attract advertisers/sponsors, so that enough money can be collected to start shooting a serial that is currently only an idea. Occasionally, there will also be a few serials that actually have begun production (in this case, the clips are more likely shot for the fans who can't wait to have a sneak preview), but nine times out of ten, those featured in the presentation are only possible serials that may or may not be shot. Each clip is usually 2 minutes, and has some of the possible scenes of the serial if it does begin shooting, but it cannot be considered the actual teaser. In other words, the sales presentation is often considered an "empty check".

The Complete List of the Award Winners:

1997
The Most Popular Program (Drama): Old Time Buddies
The Best Performance of a Male Lead: Gallen Lo ("Old Time Buddies")
The Best Performance of a Female Lead: Esther Kwan ("Lady Flower Fist")
The Most Touching Performance of a Relationship: Kathy Chow & Gordon Lam ("Time Before Time")
The Most Hilarious Pair: Bobby Au-Yeung & Esther Kwan ("Taming of the Princess")
The Most Hated Character: Ma Tai Lo ("A Kindred Spirit")

1998
*Special note: From this year on, the awards have been named "My Favorite..." instead of "The Best..."

My Favorite Program (Drama): Healing Hands
My Favorite Male Lead: Gallen Lo ("Secret of the Heart")
My Favorite Female Lead: Ada Choi ("Secret of the Heart")
The Most Improved Artist: Nick Cheung ("Secret of the Heart")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Lawrence Ng & Ada Choi ("Healing Hands")
My Favorite Partners (Non-drama): Eric Tsang, Chin Ka Lok & Jerry Lamb ("The Super Trio Show")

1999
My Favorite Male Lead: Louis Koo ("Detective Investigation Files IV")
My Favorite Female Lead: Jessica Hsuan ("Detective Investigation Files IV")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Gallen Lo & Flora Chan ("Feminine Masculinity")
My Favorite Partners (Non-drama): Eric Tsang, Chin Ka Lok & Jerry Lamb ("The Super Trio Show")

*Special note: Since the new millennium was coming, TVB handed out ten one-time-only awards to the most memorable characters in the TVB history (five male, five female).

The Most Memorable Male Characters: Chow Yun-Fat ("The Bund", aka "The Shanghai Beach"), Damien Lau ("Luk Siu Fung"), Andy Lau ("Return of the Condor Heroes"), Dicky Cheung ("Journey to the West"), Lawrence Ng ("Healing Hands")

The Most Memorable Female Characters: Josephine Siao ("Plain Jane To The Rescue"), Liza Wang ("House Is Not A Home"), Angie/Gigi Chiu ("The Bund"), Nancy Sit ("A Kindred Spirit"), Maggie Cheung Ho Yee ("Old Time Buddies")

Extraordinary Achievement: Stephen Chow

2000
My Favorite Male Lead: Bobby Au-Yeung ("Witness To A Prosecution")
My Favorite Female Lead: Carol Cheng ("War of Genders")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Julian Cheung & Charmaine Sheh ("Return of the Cuckoo")
My Favorite Partners (Non-drama): Lydia Shum, Timmy Hung & Ng Ka Lok ("Happy Charity Show")
My Favroite Characters: Bobby Au-Yeung ("Witness To A Prosecution"), Dayo Wong ("War of Genders"), Carol Cheng ("War of Genders"), Gordon Lam ("Plain Love II"), Jessica Hsuan ("A Matter of Customs") Nick Cheung ("The Legendary Four Aces"), Louis Koo ("At the Threshold of an Era"), Gallen Lo ("At the Threshold of an Era"), Liza Wang ("At the Threshold of an Era"), Nancy Sit ("Return of the Cuckoo"), Julian Cheung ("Return of the Cuckoo"), Charmaine Sheh ("Return of the Cuckoo")

2001
My Favorite Male Lead: Louis Koo ("A Step Into the Past")
My Favorite Female Lead: Liza Wang ("The Awakening Story")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Lawrence Ng & Ada Choi ("Healing Hands II")
My Favorite Partners (Non-drama): Eric Tsang, Chin Ka Lok & Jerry Lamb ("The Super Trio Show")
My Favorite Characters: Kingdom Yuen ("Gods of Honour"), Gallen Lo ("Seven Sisters"), Louis Koo ("A Step Into the Past"), Jessica Hsuan ("A Step Into the Past"), Steven Ma ("On the Track and Off"), Nancy Sit ("Virtues of Harmony"), Liza Wang ("The Awakening Story"), Maggie Cheung ("The Awakening Story"), Lawrence Ng ("Healing Hands II"), Ada Choi ("Armed Reaction III"), Bobby Au-Yeung ("Armed Reaction III"), Dicky Cheung ("The Duke of Mount Deer"), Charmaine Sheh ("Country Spirit")
Extraordinary Achievement: Kwan Hoi-San

2002
My Favorite Male Lead: Gallen Lo ("Golden Faith")
My Favorite Female Lead: Flora Chan ("Family Man")
My Favorite Most-Improved Male Artist: Moses Chan ("Where the Legend Begins")
My Favorite Most-Improved Female Artist: Myolie Wu ("Golden Faith")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Bondy Chiu, Joyce Chen, Cutie Mui & Yvonne Lam ("Virtues of Harmony")
My Favorite Partners (Non-drama): Dayo Wong & Lung Lung ("On the Verge of Breaking Out")
My Favorite Characters: Ada Choi ("Where the Legend Begins"), Steven Ma ("Where the Legend Begins"), Hacken Lee ("Legal Entanglement"), Kenix Kwok ("Legal Entanglement"), Flora Chan ("Family Man"), Paul Chun ("Family Man"), Gallen Lo ("Golden Faith"), Jessica Hsuan ("Golden Faith"), Jenny Shing ("Burning Flame II"), Alex Fong ("Burning Flame II"), Wong He ("Buring Flame II"), Lydia Shum ("Slim Chances")
Extraordinary Achievement: Law Lan

2003
My Favorite Male Lead: Roger Kwok ("Square Pegs")
My Favorite Female Lead: Maggie Cheung ("The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow")
My Favorite Most-Improved Male Artist: Raymond Lam ("Survivor's Law")
My Favorite Most-Improved Female Artist: Tavia Yeung ("Vigilante Force")
My Favorite Extraordinary Male Artist: Paul Chun ("The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow")
My Favorite Extraordinary Female Artist: Sheren Tang ("Aqua Heroes")
My Favorite Partners (Drama): Roger Kwok & Jessica Hsuan ("Square Pegs")
My Favorite Partners (Non-Drama): Lai Lok Yi, Don Li, Eddie Lee, Sam Chan ("Hearts of Fencing")
My Favorite Characters: Roger Kwok ("Square Pegs"), Maggie Cheung ("The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow"), Kwong Wa ("The King of Yesterday and Tomorrow"), Francis Ng ("Triumph In the Skies"), Jessica Hsuan ("Square Pegs"), Steven Ma ("Perish In the Name of Love"), Charmaine Sheh ("Perish In the Name of Love"), Julian Cheung ("Take My Word For It"), Flora Chan ("Triumph In the Skies"), Bobby Au-Yeung ("Witness To A Prosecution II"), Kenix Kwok ("Seed of Hope"), Bowie Lam ("Vigilante Force")
Extraordinary Achievement: Wu Fung


Back to top